Advanced Practice Clinician (APC)Posted: July 27, 2021
POSITION SUMMARY: The APC reports directly to the Physician Practice Manager and works under the clinical supervision of a physician or possibly another APC. The APC provides medical and nursing care to patients referred to the cardiology practice of HCMC. Working in partnership with the cardiologist, the APC is required to assess the health status of patients, establish goals to meet the identified healthcare needs, and participate in the development and implementation of a patient’s plan of care. The APC educates patients and families regarding the patient’s health status, medications, interventions and treatments, available resources, and follow-up care. The APC coordinates the testing and treatment of patients with the cardiologist and other HCMC departments or outside healthcare facilities. The APC delivers a comprehensive experience for the patients through anticipating their needs while supporting the delivery of care.
Acting as a Cardiology APC, the APC is responsible for evaluating and treating patients, providing post procedural care, able to recognize and interpret arrhythmias, basic knowledge of the physiology and anatomy of the heart. The APC works synergistically with practitioners and management to develop the cardiology business.
• Demonstrated expertise in cardiac care.
• Performs care for patients in accordance with the applicable New Mexico Practice Acts/Guidelines and HCMC and TPS policies and procedures.
• Knowledgeable regarding all aspects of APC scope of practice.
• Prepares for patient appointments by obtaining outside medical records, ancillary test reports or other records as designated by physician or APC.
• Must have excellent customer service skills. Utilizes AIDET throughout the patient care encounter.
• Assesses the health status of patients through interviews and examination. Obtains and documents accurate and complete vital signs and patient chief concerns. Gathers medications, pertinent medical, family, and social history, and accurately documents all information in the patient’s medical chart.
• Ensures all patient documentation is completed and entered into the EHR in a timely manner, in advance of patient appointments. Completes all charting prior to the end of business each day.
• Participates in the development and modification of the patient’s plan of care.
• Educates patients and families regarding their specific cardiac problems, management, and symptom monitoring.
• Assists physicians in preparing and conducting office procedures. Removes sutures and changes dressings as indicated by care plan.
• Will monitor and prescribe medications (as regulated by the state of practice).
• Reviews medical necessity for acquiring data, testing and communicating information to patient or guarantor and obtaining necessary signatures.
• Coordinates follow-up care including the tracking of tests and treatments.
• Assists in obtaining prior authorizations for procedures.
• Assist doctors/APC’s in performing office based procedures.
• Will perform Treadmill Stress Tests and read electrocardiograms.
• Help to track, review and interpret laboratory test results, results of cardiac tests (i.e., exercise stress tests, stress echocardiograms, and CT coronary cardiograms) to patients.
• Educate and inform patients of appropriate disease prevention and control.
• Provides telephonic triage or requested support and/or virtual monitoring. Offers subsequent recommendations, education, or care advice using decision making tools, clinical judgement, and defined workflows. Escalates all concerns to treating physician.
• Working with other clinic and Imaging staff, ensures exam rooms are clean and stocked with adequate medical supplies, maintains instruments and prepares sterilization as required.
• Engages in daily huddles with cardiologist. Brings forward information to improve the delivery of patient care. Collaborates with practitioners, office staff and manager to resolve patient concerns, improve workflow, and meet quality measures.
• Respects and maintains patient confidentiality at all times. Communicates effectively and courteously with and demonstrates a caring attitude toward patients and family.
• Participates in the orientation and training of new team members.
• Maintains flexibility to provide clinical support to other service lines if cardiology responsibilities or related patient volumes allow.
• Follows universal precautions, OSHA standards and HIPAA regulations.
• Reviews and adheres to HCMC and TPS policies and procedures.
• Orders and maintains inventory for cardiology and related office medical supplies. Follows the HCMC requisition process for all supply orders. Communicates variances to manager.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Schedule: Full - Time
Contact: Vanessa Garcia
- Current, unrestricted NM APC license required and maintained current throughout employment
- Graduate from an accredited Acute Care or Family APC Master’s Program
• Board Certification: Board certified
• ACLS/BLS American Heart Association Certification
• At least 2 years of experience in Cardiology or 4+ years of experience as Cardiology Nurse, Telemetry or ICU is required for consideration.
• Evidence of continuing education and self-development to support license requirements.
• Possess strong professional, personable, and motivational personality that builds strong relationships with patients.
• Strong knowledge and interest in current techniques, advancements, and trends in the field of cardiology
• Knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Word and Outlook and familiarity with electronic health record systems.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with practice leadership, physicians, advanced practitioners, colleagues, and other HCMC and TPS team members.
• Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with all members of the care team, and with patients and family members.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Other Positions Available Date Posted
- Administrative Assistant III - (Full Time, Temporary) September 10, 2021
- Advanced Practice Clinician (APC) July 27, 2021
- Bilingual Home Visitor II September 1, 2021
- Cancer Support Services Group Facilitator August 2, 2021
- Cardiac Sonographer October 20, 2020
- Certified Nursing Assistant - (Full Time Days) August 5, 2021
- Certified Nursing Assistant - Part Time October 16, 2020
- Circulator RN September 10, 2021
- Coder III September 1, 2021
- COVID Swabber TEMPORARY FT August 26, 2021
- Diabetes Educator- RN August 31, 2021
- Director of Facilities Management August 12, 2021
- Financial Analyst I September 1, 2021
- House Shift Coordinator September 24, 2021
- Human Resources Recruiter June 29, 2021
- Infection Prevention Trainee September 20, 2021
- Materials Manager September 22, 2021
- Medical Assistant August 9, 2021
- Medical Lab Scientist September 24, 2021
- Nurse Aide May 20, 2021
- Patient Registration Representative - Full Time May 14, 2021
- Patient Sitter (Per-Diem) September 18, 2020
- Physical Therapist May 20, 2021
- Physical Therapy Technician September 15, 2021
- Prior Authorization Specialist September 22, 2021
- Receptionist/Clinic Scheduler September 15, 2021
- Registered Nurse -SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) On Call June 26, 2020
- Registered Nurse Per Diem August 26, 2021
- Registered Nurse-ACU - Full Time-Night (Sign-on Bonus) December 9, 2020
- Registered Nurse-ASCU/PACU January 5, 2021
- Registered Nurse-ER Nights March 8, 2021
- Registered Nurse-L & D - 36 hrs/wk (Sign on Bonus) May 20, 2020
- Registered Nurse-Med Surg - 36 hours/week Nights July 21, 2020
- Registration/Scheduler - TEMPORARY FT August 26, 2021
- Respiratory Therapist (Full Time 36 hours/week) January 14, 2021
- RN-Vaccinator TEMPORARY FT August 26, 2021
- Screener ***COVID Clinic (Temporary) FULL TIME*** July 20, 2021
- Social Worker September 10, 2021
- Surgical Services Nurse Manager February 17, 2021
- Surgical Technician I or II February 26, 2020
- Surgical Technician IV-First Assist January 21, 2020